Learning area: US History
Time commitment: Moderate (30 minutes)
Best for: Grade 4, Grade 5, Grade, 6,
This scavenger hunt can be set up around the classroom, in the library, or the internet (make sure they cite sources!). Today, being able to find accurate information is an incredibly useful skill. Send your students on a hunt for historical facts either around the classroom using textbooks, in the library using both books and the internet, or solely online with their own devices. They will practice working with search engines and use their reading comprehension skills to find specific information.
- Divide the class into groups of 3-4 students or let students participate individually. Hand out the scavenger hunt topics list to each group.
- Read the definitions/questions you are seeing answers to on the following page to the class and answer any questions they may have.
- Set a timer counting down to when the activity will end. The team with the most accurate and correctly sourced information wins. Each question on the list is worth one point.
- Topics list and instructions of what will be needed (can be printed or written on the whiteboard)
- Provide access to textbooks, library, or internet.
- Checklist & writing utensil